Sunday, August 31, 2014

Lesson 2: Let's Put String On Sticks.

Now that we have yarn, and we have needles, we need to put them together. Making a base of stitches for knitting to go into is called casting on. There are several techniques for casting on. In this lesson, I'm going to show you the long tail cast on. Your Auntie is not the most tech savvy person, but here's a video that I hope will help you visualize how it's done. Watch, then try to follow along.





I know, it's a masterpiece, right?! All kidding aside, I'm still learning the ropes of iMovie, and due to a lack of having a third arm, I was recording that by setting my computer backward on my lap to get a view of my hands that wouldn't be backward to the viewer, so I couldn't actually see what was recording. Despite that, my chipped manicure, and the fact that I said "slip stitch" when I meant "slip knot," twice, I think this should serve to show what we're trying to accomplish.

Try making your slip knot and casting on a few times, until it feels comfortable to you. Don't pull your loops too tight. You want them just snug around the needle, so they stay even. But we're going to be putting the other needle through them later, so you don't want them too tight to knit. Keep your hands relaxed. We're just making loops, not tying fishing knots. If you cast the same yarn on several times while practicing, it may fray. If it does, just cut that part off and keep working with the new end. Trying to respin it is an exercise in futility. You won't suffer from losing a foot of yarn.

Extra credit assignment for those of you who are moving faster than I update: Put your web search skills to the test, and try mastering the knitted cast on, and at least one elastic cast on.

Next Time: The knit stitch. Yes, we're finally beginning the knitting part of knitting.

No comments: